Why You’ll Love This Vegan Banana Loaf
Aside from making an excellent lunchbox treat, this is also great as breakfast or a late-arvo treat. Also, this banana loaf is 100% vegan. You can use any number of toppings, from sliced bananas to splitting bananas down the middle vertically and then adding them on top of the batter. Another option would be adding seeds that have a nice crunch.
Ingredients and Notes for This Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf
This vegan chocolate chip banana loaf was made using the most readily available ingredients.
All purpose flour: this recipe calls for plain (all purpose flour).
Bananas: use ripe bananas that are too sweet for smoothies; and no one wants them in their lunchbox.
Flax eggs: add flaxseed meal and water to a dish and stir.
Sunflower oil: we prefer sunflower oil due to its mild flavour and how it transforms vegan baked goods.
Brown sugar: we use brown sugar, although other sweeteners are likely to work too.
Mix ins: chocolate chips are the go-to for a rich, delicate banana loaf. To reduce the amount of chocolate or if you can’t decide between chocolate and walnuts, use ½ cup chopped walnuts with ½ cup chocolate chips.
Spices: cinnamon and nutmeg.
Baking staples: vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf
- 2 cups (240g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 flax eggs
- 1/2 cup (114g) sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup (138g) light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170g) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Grease and/or line ~25 x 13 cm (10 x 5 in) loaf tin with oil, then line with baking paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt together in a bowl to combine. Set aside.
- To make the flax eggs, combine 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal (ground raw flaxseeds) with 6 tablespoons of water. Mix well and let rest for five minutes to thicken.
- Place the sunflower oil and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and reduce speed to low. Add the flax eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. With the mixer on low, add half the flour mixture, followed by the remaining flour mixture until just combined. Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and fold in the chocolate chips. Transfer the batter to the prepared tin.
- Optional but not required: arrange banana slices over the batter, sprinkles with seeds or split a banana down the middle vertically, then add on top of the batter. Bake for 60 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before lifting out of the tin to cool completely before slicing.